Tuesday, June 19, 2012

QM2 Crossing Day Two


Day Two at Sea Trans-Atlantic Crossing – QM2
Our first full day at sea was very relaxing, in fact too relaxing, considering I was too relaxed to write anything or even take many pictures or video.  I haven’t had any interviews yet, however; tomorrow afternoon at 4pm, our third day, Terri and I will be meeting with the Captain for an interview.  Today, our second day at sea again has been very relaxing especially since we started our day with breakfast in our suite then we went to the Canyon Ranch spa for some “water therapy” as I call it.  Canyon Ranch has many wonderful services and treatments, but both Terri and I enjoy the large thermal bath with several different types of bubbly delight; one is a curved stainless steel bench just below the surface that you can lay on and relax every muscle in your body and seemingly float on bubbles. The next bubbly accent is a round area in the middle of the pool that has a surge of bubbles creating somewhat of a current that you can nearly swim against if you choose, or you can enter inside the semi-submersed circular rim and experience kind of a weightlessness as the bubbles lift you up.  Next, there are two large water nozzles pointed into the pool with a steady thick stream of water jetting into the pool…now when you stand under this thick stream of water, the force of the jetting water is like a deep tissue massage.  Finally, there is a waterfall you can stand under; the water comes out of a ceiling chamber and rains into the pool, so you can get refreshed under a waterfall-like experience.  It’s all very relaxing, particularly with the soothing lighting on the ceiling and sounds of the waterfall.  The thermal pool is warm water so it’s like a giant, but fancy, hot tub or water-zone for adults. 

Today the QM2 is passing through some fog, which is typical for this part of the Atlantic.  In the days of the older liners, fog was slightly more precarious because they didn’t have the satellite navigation and all the high-tech gear the QM2 has today, but it is still a weather condition that worries captains.  As a precaution, QM2 sounds her foghorn every two minutes or so, as we continue on at about 21 knots.  My wife decided to take a nap, and we have left our balcony door open so we can hear the gentle sounds of the QM2 making her way through the sea…I’ll never tire of hearing that sound.  There’s also a fascinating “wind” sound as the pressure from the corridors and our open balcony door force air under the door creating this unique sound.  We are not the only passengers with their balcony door open, because I can hear this whisking wind sound as I walk through the corridors.

Today we have officially passed over the exact spot the Titanic sunk one hundred years ago.  It’s amazing the advancements in society and technology at sea since 1912, sometimes I think we have come so far, but in many ways the culture aboard an Atlantic liner remains the same.  Titanic was an incredible ship in her day one hundred years ago, but the QM2 is four times larger than Titanic and of course far more comfortable and technologically advanced.

I still hope to produce some content for the video series I’m putting together.  It stresses me out a little that we are now on our second day at sea and I haven’t really produced much video or photo content.  I have also gone to bed far too early, simply because I was just too tired to continue on.  As I type this, my wife is in bed sleeping or napping, at 4:14pm.  I think over the years she has been sleep deprived so she’s taking advantage of the restful and relaxing environment here on the QM2.  I should mention something about our dining experience onboard so far.  We have the privilege of dinning in the Princess Grill Restaurant which is considered to be the finest dining at sea, just under the Queens Grill, but I don’t think there is too much difference between the two Grills.  Both my wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience in Princess Grill.   I have noticed something that is different from the days when I worked on QE2 and of course the days of the original Queen Mary, and I don’t want to sound like I’m making a racial statement here, but nearly the entire waiter staff is from India, and sometimes because of heavy Indian accents, it’s tough to communicate.  My wife and I discussed this while we were dining, because it’s an interesting observation.  My thoughts are that we are on a British ship, or registered in Hamilton, Bermuda, and Cunard Line has such a strong British heritage, yet it seems we are dining in an Indian restaurant at times.  Now don’t get me wrong, I love Indian food, I’ve been to India; my observation is simply that the best of the best in the Grills seems to carry more of an Indian culture rather than the classic British experience.  The menu items have also been influenced by the Indian culture, with many entrées that are Indian specialties.

No comments:

Post a Comment